Fungal infection occurs when a fungus enters a fingernail, toenail or the nail bed. Fungus can also attack your nails through abrasions in the skin around nail or through the opening between nail and nail bed. For a healthy person, fungal nail infection doesn’t cause any serious problems, but it can look gross, nails can thicken and even break. If you are suffering from any medical condition like diabetes or a weak immune system, it could cause serious problems. However, discuss with your doctor the best way to get rid of fungal-infection.
Nail infections are caused by different kinds of fungi like yeasts, molds. The infections are caused typically by the same type of fungus that causes athlete’s foot. Fungi need a warm and moist place to grow and this problem is contagious as it can spread from person to person. You can catch this nail infection from sharing personal items, wearing damp shoes or walking barefoot in public showers.
Symptoms Of Fungal Infections
The fungal infection affecting toenails or fingernails is called Onychomycosis. Onychomycosis causes fingernails to thicken, the nail might turn yellow or white or even break from the skin. Though the infection is not really serious, it might become uncomfortable and painful to walk and stand for a long time and even wear shoes. This affliction can spread to the other nails of your skin and it can cause damage to your fingernail if left untreated as the fingernail become thicker with the passage of time.Diagnosis of Fingernail fungus infection
Fingernail fungus can be diagnosed by a doctor by examining and checking the patient previous health history, symptoms and tests to look for fungi. Whether to treat a fungal-nail disease is up to you. If it isn’t treated, it won’t go away. It might get worse. Doctor might take sample of your nails to examine for the traces of fungi in your fingernail in a lab.
Causes Of Fungal Nail Infections
• Dermatophytes: This fungus can grow on the skin, hair or nails. They don’t enter in the deeper tissues of the body. Most commonly found Dermatophytes, Trichophyton rubrum, causes Athlete’s foot. You can get infected by this type of fungus by items like clothes, shoes, public shower.
• Yeast: This fungus grows on the skin and nails and is usually present on the human body. However, any illness antibiotic, low immune system, usage of birth control pills can lead to a yeast infections.
• Molds: This type of fungus grows in soil and can also grow on the skin and nails and cannot be passed between people.
This disease can happen when you are attacked by fungus and it grows on or under your fingernail. If you are susceptible to fungal-infections, it can happen again even after a successful treatment.
Prevention Of Fungal Infection
If you have never had fungal infections or you are recovering from a fungal affliction and don’t want to be prone to such disease, try to take the following steps:
1. Wash your feet and hands thoroughly and dry the skin properly. Apply an antifungal cream afterwards.
2. Keep your feet and hands dry, as fungus usually grows in moist conditions.
3. Wear socks if you wear shoes and if they are wet change them to keep your feet dry or wear sandals or shoes which provide sufficient air to your feet so as to allow moisture to escape.
4. Don’t walk barefoot in public showers as you can be susceptible to fungal infections. Instead of walking barefoot wear sandals.
5. Don’t share your shoes, socks or stuff with others.
6. If you are a smoker, try quitting
7. If you are suffering from medical conditions like diabetes or low immune system, take care of your feet or hands
Below We Are Going To Discuss The Various Methods Of Treatment For Fingernail Fungus
The best treatment might not be necessary for mild cases of fingernail disease as a small fingernail infections can remain of a little concern. However, treating it can be necessary if the problem has become severe. Few of the best fingernail fungus treatment can include using over the counter treatment methods, home remedies, laser treatment and antifungal medicines like creams or fingernail paints. However, best treatment of fingernail fungus can take up to three months and the application of antifungal creams can also cause side-effects like rashes, problems in the liver.
Fingernail Fungus Treatment Over The Counter
There are several best over the counter fingernail fungus treatment methods available in the market. You can take creams or solutions from a pharmacist and apply it directly on your fingernail and. One more thing however to keep in mind is these medicines are usually for treating infections on the fingernail surface. If your problem is inside the fingernail, try other medications as over the counter treatment cannot be strong enough to help. If all else fails, try fingernail fungus treatment home remedies, or eeking a doctor is the best option in which he or she might opt for laser treatment
The best Fingernail fungus treatment home remedies involve several methods like treating the area with Listerine, VapoRub, Tea Tree oil and vinegar. These methods can also be an effective way to treat this problem at home.
You can use a few drops of vinegar (apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar) directly on the infected area thrice a day. Use this method after taking a shower, every day for at least six months. You can also soak your nails in a tub of vinegar for approximately 20 minutes once in week.
One of the best treatments also involves application of laser to kill fungi infecting the nails. Using the best fingernail fungus laser treatment, involves directing of a laser beam on the infected area to penetrate the fingernail which is sufficient enough to kill them. These reports suggest that laser method is as effective as medical therapy. However, laser therapy can be expensive and patients might require more than one sitting to cure it completely. Apart from the best laser treatment, you can also try surgery to remove the fingernail. After the surgery, it is removed and it will start growing back in some months. You can know the success of this method by seeing if the nail looks normal once it has started growing back. The best treatment can take 3-6 months and even after you are successfully treated it with laser or surgery, make sure you take proper care of your hygiene to prevent chances of getting infected again.